Posted on June 21 2016
Today is the International Day of Yoga, which is a United Nations approved celebration of the mental, physical and spiritual exercise that originated from India more than 5,000 years ago.
Millions of people from around the world are joining in on the special day by sharing photos and stories on social media by using the hashtag #YogaDay.
And whether you're a downward dog aficionado or lotus position extraordinaire, Yoga Day is the perfect opportunity to brush up on your knowledge of the practice.
Here are some Yoga Day facts to impress your fellow yogis with:
- Norwegian scientists have found that yoga may boost people's immune systems, while Australian researchers found it may curb binge eating.
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is a fan of yoga, which is most likely because his wife Sophie is a yoga teacher. This year, a picture of Trudeau executing the peacock pose on a desk went viral on social media.
- The word “yoga” is said have originated from the Sanskrit root “yuj,” which means, “to join.”
- The biggest yoga lesson ever took place last Yoga Day in New Delhi, there was nearly 36,000 yogis in attendance.
- More than a quarter of Americans have attempted to do yoga at one point in their lives.
So in honour of this special day, the Yo Sox team is rocking our awesome yoga pose socks. These socks are perfect for all of your yoga loving friends and they can be found online in our one-stop sock shop or in select stores.